Jollof-Rice, this is the most common meal that is eaten all around West Africa. A one-pot spicy rice dish cooked in tomato and broth. This dish will leave you to wonder why you’ve ever eaten plain rice. Why not cook some Jollof rice right away? The Nigeria national dish deserves to be eaten at birthday parties, wedding ceremonies, etc.
- In a blender mix one onion, tomatoes, red pepper and habaneros into a smooth puree.
- Fry the remaining onion in the oil until cooked through. Add the puree and fry for 7-10 minutes or until the oil is on top of the tomato sauce.
- Season the tomato sauce with salt, stock cubes, curry, thyme, allspice and bay leaves. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir it into the sauce. Reduce the heat to the minimum.
- Place the butter on the rice and cover the pot with foil paper and a lid.
- Cook for about 40-60 minutes or until the rice is cooked. The steam plus the tomato sauce should be enough to cook the rice. If however it is not cooked enough, add some stock a
little at a time and cook until the rice is done.
- While the rice cooks, it could be useful to prepare the chicken and fry the plantains.
- Serve the jollof rice with chicken and fried plantains